Gene and I love a good Sunday dinner. It's the one night a week we both actually have the time to not only sit down together at the table, but cook something a bit more challenging and fun! Last Sunday we decided to try a new Asian dish, an homage to Genes Filipino mom who endlessly loads us up with rice and filipino pancit noodles, that we never can seem to use fast enough! This noodle soup was the perfect use of a bag of noodles, and incredibly tasty as well. We both added lots of Sriracha and it was truly a spicy delight! Not to mention its GF friendly and naturally vegan.
ASIAN VEGAN NOODLE SOUP
Prep Time: 15 MINS Cook Time: 15 MINS Total Time: 30 MINS
Serves: 2-4 People
- 1/2 block (16 oz.) extra firm tofu
- 2 tbs soy sauce (make sure to get gluten-free soy sauce if you are intolerant or allergic)
- 1 tbs pure maple syrup
- 3.5 oz noodles (rice noodles, vermicelli, or shirataki noodles)
- 1 tbs vegetable oil or other good frying oil like canola
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cubs (1/2 pound) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup mixed frozen vegetables (I like a good "asian stir-fry mix")
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 5 cups chopped dinosaur kale
- 1 large piece ginger, cut into small pieces
- 1 additional tbs soy sauce for cooking
- pinch or two of salt for taste
- small pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbs fresh cilantro for garnish
- squeeze of Sriracha for garnish
- Press tofu between 2 pieces of paper towel to soak up excess water. Cut into 1-inch pieces and transfer to a large ziploc bag (freezer size). Add the maple syrup and soy sauce. Gently toss the bag so that the tofu becomes marinated. Set aside.
- Prepare noodles according to instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large stock pot with 1 tbs oil of choice until hot. Add tofu and let cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until the bottom of the tofu begins to brown. Flip and cook both sides until crispy. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
- Add the vegetable broth to the same pot. Add frozen vegetables, mushrooms, green onion, ginger, and additional soy sauce. Cook until brought to a boil. Add the kale and cook until it begins to shrink and become tender. Transfer the cooked noodles to the pot, mix well. Add salt and pepper. Turn of heat and drizzle with sesame oil.
- Transfer soup to serving bowls. Garnish with desired amounts of cilantro and Sriracha sauce for a spicy kick.
- Serve hot and enjoy with chopsticks. A fork will do as well!
Recipe adapted from: https://omnivorescookbook.com/vegetarian-noodle-soup/