We are a potato family, through and through. If we could eat potato for every meal, I promise you we probably would! However, theres more to the potato than meets the eye - I'm looking at you vinegar kettle-cooked potato chips, my old friend...
Take for instance this gorgeous (and delicious) Vegan Gnocchi Mushroom Florentine. Soft, fluffy gnocchi, smothered in a mushroom cream sauce, and tossed with spinach?! This is what foodie potato dreams are made of! It's a vegan take on an Italian staple and can easily be made gluten free.
We went the store bought route and did not make the gnocchi from scratch. Fellow gluten intolerant and allergic friends, be careful when buying store bought, as many brands surprisingly contain gluten! Le Veneziane makes an exceptional potato gnocchi that is gluten free and vegan. They cook in two minutes and make this recipe a bit easier, but just as delicious.
VEGAN GNOCCHI MUSHROOM FLORENTINE
Prep Time: 30 MINS Cook Time: 15 MINS Total Time: 45 MINS
Serves: 2-4 People
- 1 package of pre-made potato gnocchi
- 10oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup soy or almond milk
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp corn startch
- 1tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 8 oz spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes, optional
- Boil a large pot of water. Salt water.
- While water is boiling, start the sauce. Add olive oil to a large sauté pan or cast iron skillet. Heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms and garlic. Sauté until the mushrooms darken and are cooked through, about 5-8 minutes. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- When the water is boiling, add the gnocchi. Cook for about 2-4 minutes, or until the gnocchi begin to float. Drain into a colander and put aside.
- Now finish the sauce. Mix together the vegetable broth, non-dairy milk, and corn starch in a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk until fully combined. Add the mixture to the mushrooms and garlic. Reduce to medium-low and simmer for 6-9 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and appears creamy. Add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Whisk and season with red pepper flakes if desired.
- Add the spinach to the sauce and stir, until the spinach has wilted. Turn off heat.
- Plate the gnocchi and pour sauce over top. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Photos by @genery, GeneRosatiJR.com
Recipe adapted from: https://www.rabbitandwolves.com/vegan-gnocchi-mushroom-florentine/